Vitaly FriedmanCreative lead & EIC at Smashing Media AG
Vitaly loves beautiful content and does not give up easily. Born in Minsk, Belarus, he studied computer science and mathematics in Germany.
While writing algebra proofs and preparing for software engineering at nights in the kitchen, at the same time he discovered passion for typography, interface design and writing. After working as a freelance designer and developer for 6 years, he co-founded Smashing Magazine back in 2006, a leading online magazine for designers and developers. His curiosity drove him from interface design to front-end to performance optimization to accessibility and back to user experience over all the years.
Vitaly is the author, co-author and editor of all Smashing books, and a curator of all Smashing Conferences. He currently works as editor-in-chief and creative lead of Smashing Magazine and front-end/UX consultant in Europe and abroad, working with European Parliament, Haufe-Lexware, Axel-Springer and a few other companies.
TALK: Getting Forms Right: from Checkboxes to Dropdowns
Nobody wakes up in the morning hoping to finally create a new account that day. Web forms don’t have a decent reputation, and rightfully so. Very often they are inaccessible and difficult to use, with awkward live validation and notorious error messages; not to mention painful dropdowns like a country selector, a birthday date-picker starting from 2020, a tiny newsletter checkbox, a disabled copy-paste for email verification, disabled “submit” buttons and horrendously evil CAPTCHAs in the disguise of street signs and crosswalks.
Whenever a customer will interact with the interface, it will happen via some sort of a web form.
In this session, we’ll learn common pain points that customers experience way too frequently, how to solve them, and how to create an interface that excels at getting the information from the customer in a way that’s friendly, accessible and obvious — helping conversion and business KPIs along the way.
Keep in mind: you won’t be able to unsee the things you’ll see in this session.
You’ll leave with a toolbox of practical techniques that you’ll be able to apply to your work right away. And potentially some tips for saving money on airfare, too!
Workshop: Smart Interface Design Patterns, 2021 Edition
- November 24, 2021 at 10:00
- 280 €
- Tallinn University, Narva mnt 25, Tallinn, Estonia
Are you ready for a design challenge?
In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman, creative lead behind Smashing Magazine, will be taking a microscopic examination of common components and design patterns in modern interfaces — on desktop and on mobile.
We’ll study 100s of hand-picked examples and we’ll be designing interfaces together, starting from accordions, to mega-drop-downs, sliders, feature comparisons, car configurators — all the way to timelines and onboarding. And: We’ll be reviewing and providing feedback to each other’s work.
The workshop includes:
- 1500+ workshop slides with practical examples and action points
- 100 checklist cards on everything from carousels to web forms
- Editable checklists as text files to adjust for your needs
- Access to the evergreen deck, updated regularly
- Live, interactive sessions
- Hands-on exercises and reviews
- All workshop recordings
- Dedicated Q&A time for all your questions
- A Smashing Certificate
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop is for interface designers, front-end designers and developers who’d love to be prepared for complex and time-consuming design challenges. You’ll walk away with a toolbox of techniques and examples of doing things well — in your product, website, desktop app or a mobile app
What will the workshop cover?
In this workshop, we’ll go hands-on into exploring:
- How people use mobile interfaces and how we can optimize for thumbs,
- Navigation, with accordions, mega-drop-downs, hamburger icons, breadcrumbs, carousels, filters and search,
- Advanced configurators, wizards and customizers, diving into details of a car configurator,
- Complex tables, with a feature comparison table, currency exchange calculator, pricing plans,
- Date pickers, date range picker and a time picker, incl. booking an appointment and booking an airline ticket,
- Calendars, with a multi-track schedule, TV Guide schedule, music festival schedule, exhibition calendar, spreadsheets and dashboard,
- Forms, with email verification, password input, country selector, sliders, error validation, incl. public transportation and a banking transaction UI,
- Sliders, with insurance calculators, timelines, historical family tree, soccer game signature and live leaderboard and standings,
- Maps and Data Visualization, with a shopping mall map, election map, smart region input.
- Onboarding and offboarding UX for higher conversion/retention,
- Authentication patterns, permissions UX, GDPR/CCPA, CAPTCHA and 2-factor-auth,
- Seat selection, for a concert, theatre or exhibition and a perfect Formula 1 seat selection,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid to prevent running into maintenance issues and “slow UX decay”.
What hardware/software do you need?
- You’ll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug.
- We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Be ready to challenge your general view of the design process and how our interface should look like.
- The laptop is useful but not really necessary.
- You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one! 😉
The workshop duration is 7 hours